Important Safety Information
BOXED WARNING: LACTIC ACIDOSIS/SEVERE HEPATOMEGALY WITH
STEATOSIS and POST TREATMENT ACUTE EXACERBATION OF HEPATITIS B
- Lactic acidosis and severe hepatomegaly with steatosis, including fatal cases, have been reported with the use of nucleoside analogs, including tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (tenofovir DF), a component of STRIBILD, in combination with other antiretrovirals.
- STRIBILD is not approved for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and the safety and efficacy of STRIBILD have not been established in patients coinfected with HBV and HIV-1. Severe acute exacerbations of hepatitis B have been reported in patients who are coinfected with HBV and HIV-1 and have discontinued emtricitabine or tenofovir DF, components of STRIBILD. Hepatic function should be monitored closely with both clinical and laboratory follow-up for at least several months in patients who are coinfected with HIV-1 and HBV and discontinue STRIBILD. If appropriate, initiation of anti-hepatitis B therapy may be warranted.
STRIBILD is indicated as a complete single-tablet regimen for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults who are antiretroviral treatment-naive.
Please click here for additional Important Safety Information for STRIBILD
- Clumeck N, Molina JM, Henry K, et al; GS-236-0103 Study Team. A randomized, double-blind comparison of single-tablet regimen elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF vs ritonavir-boosted atazanavir plus emtricitabine/tenofovir DF for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: analysis of week 144 results. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;65(3):e121-e124.
- Data on File. Gilead Science, Inc.
- Wohl DA, Cohen C, Gallant JE, et al; for the GS-US-236-0102 Study Team. A randomized, double-blind comparison of single-tablet regimen elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF versus single-tablet regimenefavirenz/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: analysis of week 144 results. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;65(3):e118-e120.
- STRIBILD [package insert]: Foster City, CA: Gilead Sciences, Inc, 2014.